On February 5th 2006 I closed escrow on a California Bungalow in the city of Monrovia California. The house was built in 1920 and it’s definitely showing its age.
I love old neighborhoods. They have a sense of place, history and soul that todays McMansion track homes lack. I bought this house as a renovation project. My intention is to upgrade the house while maintaining/improving it’s historic roots. As I started my research online, I realized that there are not many useful resources to help home owners get a handle on the level of complexity and cost for undertaking rennovation projects. So I decided to document my project — think of this as “This Old House The Untold Story”. I hope you will find the information useful, and if you have and advice I hope you will share too. .
Topics I will to cover during the life of the this blog:
- Key project steps and dependencies
- Project designs — I will be soliciting input from readers along the way
- Project costs — I’ll share the costs associated with each step of the project
- Lists of useful resources, suppliers and contractors I find along the way
- Lots of pictures and how to explanations
Ultimately, this project will give this dillapidated California Bungalow a new lease on life; and provide a functional and attractive home to families for another 100 years. Whether you have under-taken a similar project or plan to at some time in the future I hope you will participate with me on ProjectBungalow.